> http://docs.jabber.org/general/html/component-intro.html
>
> does that help?

Very much indeed, thank you. Is this document linked from the docs section
in jabber.org?
Allthough I have already started creating my own component (right? I used
to call this a transport) and I've already done some simpler tests with my
console client (it is a crued method of sending IQ's) to my component and
it works fine.

It is very easy (just like Apache) to create modules for Jabber. At the
same time, it looks better in the topology to write accept components.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a how-to (with code examples) on making
example loadable modules for a bogus transport?
And more examples on writing the other types of components.
Perhaps less meta and more hands-on style.
When I understand Jabber more I will make sure to contribute with
documentation on the parts I found difficult to do.

/P