Iain Shigeoka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>I think they can (or will soon.)  I recall just recently reading an article
>about the new domain names being issued (or about to be issued) with
>non-english character sets.  The article was discussing the obvious methods
>of stealing domains or hijacking browsers by registering identical looking
>domains that are spelled differently (mixing characters from different
>character sets.)

Not so much different character sets, different languages. Different
characters that look the same (like 1 and l). Called homographs (literally
"they look the same"). The Risks digest article is here:

http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.89.html#subj5

Technically a very simple solution, UTF8 exposes a whole heap of human
engineering issues (the codespace for it is not easy to partition along
language lines, and was never intended to be).

For Jabber though, that's not really an issue. We do have the homograph
problem, but I'd be inclined to let other people worry about it. More
interesting is translating UTF8 names into portable filenames...

Moz