This could even be taken a step further, beyond brute force hacking into
proprietary IM networks...

- calendaring, document management, and other mics end user apps...
- removal of any storage constraints imposed by the jabberd
- user control of features installed

Jabber suffers from central management... its distributed like email,
but a central server still exists that is managed by an admin. This
constrains the users to what the admin implements on the server. By
using jabberd on localhost, it moves under the user's control and
becomes more p2p-ish...

Granted this is not a problem now, but what happens when there are so
many protocol extensions that it becomes impossible for admins to
accomodate all the user's potential needs? What about a chess/game
extension that is seen as needless on the main jabberd, but the protocol
requires a jabberd to function? ...

By turning the public JID into a bridge to the localhost jabberd, the
possibilities become a bit less constrained than what they are now.

Obviously this won't work on a cell phone, but thats what the 'valid'
JID is for.