Yup, I just read through all of the above, and now I'm beginning to think
that maybe Jabber shouldn't implement emoticons at all.  People send
emoticon-containing emails even though plain-text email doesn't support
'em directly; why should IM?

That said, I _would_ ask the transports to translate emoticons if we're
going to use any emoticons, because there's no simple way for your client
to tell whether [EMAIL PROTECTED] is behind the AIM transport at
dave.tj, or whether he's an actual user on the Jabber server aim.dave.tj -
saddling the client with such detective work is not only unclean (because
it means that the transport is _not_ the only thing that needs to be
updated when external networks change), but also quite ugly for the
clients (since the transport is in a much better position to figure out
what should be translated than the client - especially if we assume that
the client knows nothing about the AIM network, which was the general
goal behind Jabber in the first place).

XHTML is a very easy implementation, because it just treats emoticons
as images (which is really what they are).  If we're going to start
classifying images into different categories, we should probably have
a logo standard, so :logo-IBM: should produce an IBM logo image, etc.
We can also have an artwork image type, where :art-picasso: would instruct
the receiving client to replace that text with a random Picasso painting
(in whatever crazy format the device happens to support).  Obviously,
we shouldn't stop there - having an album-cover image type is absolutely
necessary (if we don't want the RIAA to sue our pants off, and then
we'll need a special image type for pantless people - maybe :porn: or
something like that?), so a client seeing :albumcover-beatles: would
have to dig up an image of a Beatles album cover.

 - Dave