> Ok, but I still don't understand how typing:
>
>    /me does something
>
> has any advantages over typing
>
>    bob does something
>
> given that I know my name is bob.  Is the whole point to change the colour
> of "bob"?

Example:

<UserA> I was thinking of "bagh"
<UserB> Oh, hrm, maybe "baz" is a better idea
 * UserA smacks UserB over the head with a piece of wood
<UserB> Oi! what was that for?
<UserA> You should know that "baz" is hidiously broken and should be
        avoided
<UserB> Oh yeah, sorry, slipped my mind, guess I deserved that then.

it highlights that you're "doing" something instead of "saying"
something.

* UserA Sighs
vs
<UserA> Sighs

has two very different meanings.  (The first that they sigh, the second
that they say "Sighs")

--
Only the hypocrite is really rotten to the core. -- Hannah Arendt