> I believe the idea would be to share files only with people in a user's
> personal roster.  Not filesharing on a super-massive scale like some of
> the P2P applications do right now.  Think of it more like the shares
> files of your favourite OS.

Yes I know, but there is still the AIMster legal precedent that covers this,
and the RIAA I would expect have a lot more money to throw at it in legal
fees than the JSF does. This is something that needs to go past the lawyers
first so that they can at least supply some legalese to put on the JEP page
to indemnify the JSF from any legal repercussions (hopefully passing the
legal burden onto the end user where it should be).

> Of course if the RIAA *did* attack a Jabber client over this, it would
> be an enourmous publicity stunt for the JSF ;-)  (I hope stpeter doesn't
> abuse his dictatorial powers on this!)

But a very negative one, also I believe AIMster was something that provided
that kind of functionality to AIM users and I believe they got sued and
shutdown for it.

Even if they probably wouldnt win it wouldnt stop them from trying and
people with that kind of money could seriously cripple the JSF. Remember
these are the people who are introducing "copy-protection" that stops you
playing cd's in your pc and potensially crashes it if you try, and years ago
tried to ban tape recorders and vcr's saying it would cause massive piracy
(it didnt infact), and more recently the diamond rio mp3 player for similar
reasons. They will try to squash any potential threat even if its not really
justified.

Richard