There's nothing stopping you from subscribing to message events. As it
turns out, there currently isn't any generic subscription mechanism
available, but as long as you're defining your means of distributing
this information yourself, you're free to define your own means of
managing subscriptions..

<message type="normal"><x

Or whatever else you feel would work appropriately.