Yes this would help some but not all people.

e.g. If I where at the public library and for some reason wanted to use
jabber to talk to somebody. The library  around here do not have Java
installed and I'm not in a position to go and install a client on there
machines.

OR

I cam sitting in my VB programming class(***SHUDDER*** at least it is a
easy A) and he starts lecturing on loops or some other equally useless
topic that anyone should be able to get out of a book. I could go online
and chat once again I don't have the permissions to install the client
and there is no Java installed.

While the need for a pure HTML client is potentially small it does fill
a niche market. Although I admit any implementation will very likely be
hard on the server. Esp for a more that trivial number of users.

~Chris