Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
[...]
I agree, much more is needed than just an easy user guide. If we really
want to reach the average IM user, we need an icq.com-style portal that
makes users happy by providing general-interest chatrooms, easy ways to
find like-minded users, fun little quizzes and polls, games, and all
that jazz.

IMHO, what most of the end users want is:

1 multiprotocol, good loking, localized client with basic features (chat, file transfer, presence) that they can download in 1 click.

-) Multiprotocol:
*client-side* support for AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Jabber

-) Good looking:
most of the users are interested in how a client *looks*, not what it *does*: skins, avatars, emoticons,...

-) Localized:
they want the client in their *native language*, by downloading *1* file to have it all

-) Basic features:
as I said, most of the users are interested in the looks, not the does. Still, add 1 more feature to it (next to chat, file transfer, presence) and their lying at your feet: file sharing.

What I don't think they (="most of the users", not all the users) are interested in is an icq.com-style portal, that's at least what I "feel" in my group of friends. And I'm living in a building with 200 people where a lot of them *ask* me about info, because they don't like to look it up. So, I think they rather expect a client out of the box, without having to look at any documentation. So, a localized free version of Trillian which supports Jabber...

Let me start another poll on the Trillian community, comments are welcome (even if you would rather want another poll):

What needs an Instant Messaging system for you alone (multiple answers possible):
1) file sharing
2) icq.com-style portal site
3) skinnable client
4) avatars