XMPP/Jabber lacks the "killer-app".
Indeed, completely agree!

Why would anyone want to switch besides the fact that Jabber is cooler? MSN has nicer emoticons and every noob out there has it, Yahoo has video chat, AIM has avatars, Jabber has XML, a distributed network and it's an open protocol. So? What's in it for me? :P

IMO we should leverage the strong points of Jabber/XMPP. IMO one of the coolest things in Jabber is the fact that it's dead easy to write cool extensions for it in the form of services/bots. It should be extremely easy to create some really nice integration tools for the web.

I.e. I'm planning to push Jabber onto all the (approx 4000) users of my website. They have been asking for a chat on the site for ages but I haven't been able to find something that could use my existing (phpBB) user database. When I setup a jabber server with a jabber account for all my users I can setup chatrooms real easy. Especially if there was some kind of Java client that I could use for groupchats (don't know if that exists at the moment). Furthermore it would be easy to spot a friend on my site and send him/her a message for example because this person is in the same section of the website.

It should be fairly easy to build cool stuff like bots that provide you with a TV guide (ralphm? :D), instant dictionary and more cool stuff like that.

Of course we need video/voice chat but that should be implemented properly and for the time being people will still use MSN/ICQ/AIM/Y! for quite some time. That's why it's such a truely fantastic thing that Trillian is going to support Jabber! I really hope that the free client is going to support Jabber too.

Anyway, I think it is a smart thing to figure out what killer apps we can create that MSN/ICQ don't have. And with a killer app I'm talking about something that the users want, not something that's technically really advanced and cool :P It should be something fun and or useful...

--
Bart van Bragt
Jabber advocate :)