I wrote a PHP presense icon script a year ago. It required that the site had a jabber account (called 'WebPager' or something). Each user that wanted to use it added that user to their roster, and it would log on, detect presence and log off whenever a page was loaded. It could also parse the roster and send and receive messages, although the receiving component was not used for the presence, but rather to allow people behind firewalls to use a simple web interface. I got distracted before I got around to deploying it, but I probably will this summer. At that point I'll also open up the code, in case anyone wants it. It implemented all of the functionality of the ICQ web pager (you could even use it as an ICQ web pager if you had the ICQ transport set up correctly...), and a few other bits. The only server support it required was an account created for it to use, so it could use a public server if required.

Richard Dobson wrote:

Ages ago I wrote up a proposal to do this via a transport in JEP format
(which Peter wouldn't accept despite my constant nagging) but I have had
little feedback on it or seen any alternative ideas put forward:

http://www.yabber.org/jep/webpresence/webpresence.xml (IE6 renders this

with

the XSLT - not sure about other browsers)

Yea but that proposal made the assumption that every server would run a presence component at a fixed address which is not really feasible in the real world, and if it wasnt running at that fixed location it wouldnt work, which isnt really very good.

If we can get a Jabber icon to show up beside even a small fraction of

user

posts on phpBB/phpNuke sites then it is going to drastically raise the
awareness of Jabber on the web.

Yep I totally agree, but it doesnt look good if you method was used and half of the presence indicators have broken images ;)

Richard