Dave Smith wrote:

In all seriousness, the solution to this problem _must_ embrace the fact
that Jabber is decentralized. Given the difficulty with creating
decentralized datastores, my guess would be that we will have to adapt
some of the search protocols currently used on p2p networks and create a
federation of JUDs that cross-search each other. It wouldn't be perfect,
but  it's better than what we have.

We began a thread in January about this issue
http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2003-January/002488.html
but it had no following. If anybody is interested we could go on from where we left.

--
Fabio Forno - PhD Student
Politecnico di Torino - Dip. Automatica ed Informatica