Hello Everybody,

I downloaded the JabberApplet today and had a few problems, greater and lesser ones, and I was hoping I could find someone willing to help this newbie.

Problem 1 (lesser): the applet class is not seen if it is JARed. I created a /jabber folder under the root of my apache web server, and put there a simple html file which, besides the usual HTML, HEAD and BODY tags had only the applt call, as reported on the jabberstudio web site, i.e.
<APPLET ARCHIVE="JabberApplet.jar" CODE="org/jabber/applet/JabberApplet.class" HEIGHT=200 WIDTH=200 VIEWASTEXT>
<param name="xmlhostname" value="/jabber.myserver.org/">
</APPLET>

So I put the JabberApplet.jar into the same folder of the html file and opened the html from a browser (that is Mozilla 1.3).
The result from the JVM was: load: class org.jabber.applet.JabberApplet not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: File not found: http://mymachine/jabber/org/jabber/applet/JabberApplet.class

If I just unzip the .jar file the applet loads, bu then we fall into the 2nd problem.

Problem 2 (greater): there must be some kind of policy settings to apply, but frankly I couldn't find them anywhere. The message, once the applet has loaded, is:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThreadGroup)
at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:272)
at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkAccess(AppletSecurity.java:139)
at java.lang.ThreadGroup.checkAccess(ThreadGroup.java:279)
at java.lang.Thread.init(Thread.java:265)
at java.lang.Thread.<init>(Thread.java:330)
at org.jabber.applet.TestConnect.<init>(TestConnect.java:59)
at org.jabber.applet.JabberApplet.init(JabberApplet.java:502)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:344)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.maf_run(MotifAppletViewer.java:131)
at sun.plugin.navig.motif.MotifAppletViewer.run(MotifAppletViewer.java:127)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

and I can't seem to be going anywhere else.

Hope somebody can help

thanks in advance

bye

Francesco Bacchelli