This is one of those things that is a little counter-intuitive.  The
language that's in the spec is correct, particularly when combined with the
rule that if a message is sent to a non-existent resource, it gets delivered
as if it has no resource.

There have been clients in the past that always sent to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] jid
(which is what you are suggesting), and user-experience-wise, they aren't
great, since some of the messages in a conversation end up going to the two
different resources, as auto-away priority changes happen.

The rules that are in the spec are our based on our best practices based on
real use patterns that we've seen.

--
Joe Hildebrand