I haven't used any of the open source installers, but I can tell you I
don't care for Install Shield.  It's very powerful, but takes at least a
week to figure out how the hell to use it.  To do anything custom in the
installer requires a whole lot of InstallScript code and the integration
with MSI is confusing as hell.  They build this weird wrapper around it
that's really a pain to use.

For the recent projects I've been working on I've been using the
deployment projects built into Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET.  It's
only meant for redistributing .NET applications, but it does that well
and is integrated with the development environment (which is very
handy). It will run Installer classes you build into your assemblies,
meaning you can write your custom install code in .NET.  So if you're
building anything in .NET, that would be my recommendation. :)

JD