I just wanted to ask all the Windows developers out there for recommendations of installer creator programs. Which one do you use, why, and do you recommend it? Advantages/disadvantages...all the usual.

Any help would be appreciated. My initial goal is to create an installer for a GPL, open-source project. Specifically, I hope to make a Windows installer of Jabberd 1.4.3. Will first try to build Jabberd without its current Cygwin dependencies, but failing that, will try to at least mimick the older 1.4.2 install. I hope to add in at least JUD and MU-C components, possibly xdb_sql and xdb_ldap. Then I plan to tackle Jabberd2, rinse, repeat. My time is limited unfortunately (I do this for fun, not as my main job), and I have no set timeframe, so please don't ask. I would very much like to get this right over getting it out fast but buggy.

I've found several installer creators out there, from the venerable InstallShield and VISE installers, to a variety of shareware, freeware, and/or open source packages. Some are GUI-driven, others script-driven, others are script-based but have 3rd party GUI frontends (like ISTool for Inno Setup).

A few that I've seen used by others like various Jabber client installers and such include

Inno Setup
        http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
        * script-driven, free, open-source, no nag screens

Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS)
        http://nsis.sourceforge.net/home/
        * script-driven, free, open-source, no nags

Installer2Go
        http://www.dev4pc.com/installer2go.html
        * GUI-driven, not open-source, free version has nags

InstallBase
        http://installbase.sourceforge.net
        * GUI-driven, free, open-source, no nags

InstallAnywhere
        http://www.zerog.com/
        * commercial

Tarma Installer2
        http://www.tarma.com/products/tin/index.htm
        * GUI-driven, not open-source, free version has nags

to name just a few.

Thoughts/ideas/raves/rants welcome.  Thanks in advance for feedback.