On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:57:14PM -0600, Thomas Charron wrote:
>   JEP-65 is specifically geared twards opeing up a TCP socket to
> communicate data.  IMHO, anything that uses it is specifically 'jabber
> oriented'.  Utilizing it could be used, but the end solution is, by
> nature, something that ends up running as a solution for the jabber
> network.  Using existing systems, such as rtp, etc, allows existing
> applications alraedy BUILT to handle these things to funciton.

RTP is a protocol to send multimedia streams via unreliable
transport protocol, like UDP. JEP-65 is a protocol to establish reliable
(TCP) connection between two Jabber clients. There is no conflict here.
TCP connection may be used for voice and _existing_ Ogg stream format
may be use for this. Using UDP whould be much better, so we need some
kind of protocol to establish UDP link between two Jabber entities. RTP
doesn't provide that. But RTP may be used as soon as those clients can
communicate via UDP.

IMHO existings standards like RTP, OGG or speex should be used at low
level to encode/transmit actual data, but higher-level singnaling has to
be a new XMPP-based protocol unless we want our Jabber clients to be
just external voice-communication-application launchers. And XMPP
infrastructure seems very well suited for voice chat/multimedia
conference signaling. IMHO even better that H.323 or SIP - which may be
good for IP telephony, but not for PC-to-PC communication.

Greets,
        Jacek