> an RTP approach seems reasonable - there are many well working
> implementations around.
> the rtp approach is fairly easy to implement, depending on the used
> library.

Aye.  And it's what most, at least SIP based VoIP solutions, use.

> i hope my points get through. i'd go with rtp.

  Aye.  I thought we where on two different pages, but it appears we
aren't.  The only discussion now is, how to do this.  There seems to be
2 camps.  Use existing generic JEPs, or come up with a newer, more
'specific' JEP that has the data specifically needed.  Using existing
JEPs means agreeing on HOW to use them in a common fasion to do it.
Coming up with a new one would allow a greater lockdown on minimal
requirements, etc, simply by nature.  Using the existing JEPs DOES cause
possible issues by different implementations.  Also, as was pointed out,
using RTP would mean that perhaps servers may need to support something
simular to JEP-03, but for UDP instead of TCP stream redirection.