On tor, 2004-06-17 at 16:48 -0400, Rachel Blackman wrote:

Hi,

While I agree that Jabber is a bit too technical for the avarage end
user (like current MSN/ICQ/IChat users) I don't agree that the problem
is on the client side (which I kinda got the feeling that you where
targeting with this proposal).

Being the author of a jabber client (Gossip) targeting this audience my
biggest concerns are the lack of "standard" on how a server is
configured. You can never count on for example group chat to be
available on the server the user happens to use. You can't count on
transports being available, search functionality being configured etc.

While I like the generic nature of Jabber since it makes it really great
for a large number of uses it also makes it harder to use.

So my point is that I think it would make more sense to have a
certification program for public servers rather then clients. Most users
stick with the client they are first shown (be it from a distribution,
or something a friend installed). What makes MSN, ICQ etc so easy to use
is that you don't have to chose a server, you just register an account
and connect. For jabber to have a chance against these services for
those users we need some way of doing that aswell.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio HB, http://www.imendio.com/