On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:14, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> Being the author of a jabber client (Gossip) targeting this audience my
> biggest concerns are the lack of "standard" on how a server is
> configured. You can never count on for example group chat to be
> available on the server the user happens to use. You can't count on
> transports being available, search functionality being configured etc.
>
> While I like the generic nature of Jabber since it makes it really great
> for a large number of uses it also makes it harder to use.
>
> So my point is that I think it would make more sense to have a
> certification program for public servers rather then clients. Most users
> stick with the client they are first shown (be it from a distribution,
> or something a friend installed). What makes MSN, ICQ etc so easy to use
> is that you don't have to chose a server, you just register an account
> and connect. For jabber to have a chance against these services for
> those users we need some way of doing that aswell.

Couldn't client authors who wish their clients to have this kind of
functionality run their own servers for it?  (I guess the other option would
be for a server to offer its own branded client, which connects only to that
server.)

I don't like the idea of one of my future servers being marked "bad" just
because one day I decide that the server doesn't need MUC on it, or that I
don't want to run buggy transports.

TX

--
'Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' -
Arthur C Clarke

             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/trejkaz/
         Jabber ID: [EMAIL PROTECTED]