Allowing self signed (or otherwise untrusted) certs with STARTTLS +
EXTERNAL is opening yourself up for a serious security breach.  Using it
with stream:features over dialback would give you encryption with a self
signed cert and trust through the DNS system.  STARTTLS + Dialback
offers some level of trust along with encryption without having to worry
about the complexities of a certificate chain.

So, I agree, with both of you.  :)  We have implemented STARTTLS +
EXTERNAL for S2S in SoapBox Server and allow administrators to choose
the level of trust they require.  I assume if the community gets behind
it we'll implement STARTTLS + dialback as well.

JD

JabberIDs