While JD's comments sum this up nicely, I just want to reiterate loudly that
self-signed certificates alone truly are worthless.  I'm not even talking
about man in the middle attacks either.  As a form of identity, a self-signed
cert is as effective as the "From:" header in good old SMTP, and this would
allow spammers to get right in and start faking domains.

TLS + dialback is an intriguing idea.  It wouldn't impress the security mafia
one bit, but at least you wouldn't open the door to spammers.

-Justin