I doubt someone arguing that ssh is more widely used (either in terms
of traffic or in terms of users) than SSL/TLS, or even than just the
https usage of SSL/TLS, would be taken very seriously.

If Jabber servers had started with S2S defaulting to SSL, then trusted
issuers would be the only way to make the server administration scale.
Since we did not, servers really can only require SSL in environments
where you are pairing with a limited number of other servers; for
these environments, using manually entered self-signed certificates is
usually the way to go.

-David Waite