On Tuesday 10 January 2006 10:57, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> I'm trying to make my Jabber server require people registering an
> account enter an e-mail address for password retrieval and such (in
> practice, it might be too obnoxious to _require_ this, but that's
> beside the point).  From JEP-0077, I imagined that I would just add an
> <email/> tag to the registration form, and return a <not-acceptable/>
> error if the form is inadequately filled out.
>
> However, neither Psi 0.9.3, Gajim 0.8.2, nor tkabber 0.9.8 liked that
> idea.  They all stayed with their own ideas of how a registration form
> would look, and failed to register an account.
>
> Before I start filing bug reports about this: am I missing something?
> My test server is at stor.no-ip.org; you can try registering an
> account there.

Yes, most clients do this wrong.

In the old days (and possibly still today), clients often bolted account
registration onto an existing login dialog with a simple checkbox saying
"register the account".  If checked, the client would attempt to create the
account based on the login information you provide, prior to logging in as
normal.  Because this meant that the fields were fixed, I suspect it started
a trend of clients not honoring the registration form.

However, I don't see the situation improving at this point.  My personal
opinion is that account registration does not belong in the Jabber protocol,
just as you won't find an account registration feature in other protocols
either (FTP, SSH, etc).  I hope to someday remove account reg/unreg from Psi.

As anyone should know by now, the best way to obtain an account for anything
is to contact the administrator of the service.  If the admin wants to
automate the process, he uses a web-based signup page.  If he wants to
require certain information (read: email address), then he includes the
necessary fields as part of the web form. :)

-Justin