Tony Finch said the following on 5/25/06 8:08 AM:
On Wed, 24 May 2006, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
I am working with a certification authority on adding XMPP support to
the certificates they issue.

Has anyone written a straightforward description of how to generate a
proper XMPP cert with all of the id-on-xmppAddr stuff using OpenSSL?

Given that our cert vendor is Thawte/Verisign, I suppose this is probably
irrelevant to us and I should worry more about whether XMPP software has
interoperable cn-based validation despite the fact that it isn't
specified.

Tony.

You can put whatever OIDs in the csr. The CA will determine if it will honor what you have requested.

==
From the RFC
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3920.txt

If a JID for any kind of XMPP entity (e.g.,
       client or server) is represented in a certificate, it MUST be
       represented as a UTF8String within an otherName entity inside the
       subjectAltName, using the [ASN.1] Object Identifier
       "id-on-xmppAddr" specified in Section 5.1.1 of this document.

5.1.1.  ASN.1 Object Identifier for XMPP Address

   The [ASN.1] Object Identifier "id-on-xmppAddr" described above is
   defined as follows:

   id-pkix OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) identified-organization(3)
           dod(6) internet(1) security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) }

   id-on  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-pkix 8 }  -- other name forms

   id-on-xmppAddr  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-on 5 }

   XmppAddr ::= UTF8String

   This Object Identifier MAY also be represented in the dotted display
   format as "1.3.6.1.5.5.7.8.5".
===

Open up your openssl.cnf file and look for the new_oids section. They have an example there too. Oh and look at the man page for req. It has lots of examples of OIDs.

-Jonathan