jabberd2 is GPLed ... everyone can continue development as long as he
respects the GPL.

Sure, but using the same name as the project you fork is not really a
good idea IMHO. Either officially take over the project and close down
all old project pages, or baptise it with a different name (and mark
the old project as dead or so).

This whole jabberd situation is pretty confusing to an outside world:
jabberd14 and jabberd2 being two completely independent projects,  and
now a second jabberd2 suddenly jumps in on a totally different project
page, leaving the old jabberd2 page as if it was still alive. And the
worst part of it all is that people think that this is the reference
XMPP server :-) I guess you guys are not so frustrated as I would be
when developing a project that everyone confuses with another (or two
other) one(s) :-)

cheers,
Remko