A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting so bad?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying behavior on email discussion lists?

tjabber wrote:
> Unfortunately the user also has to be able to turn it on and off as well.

You want the user to turn on sharing of presence with anyone (even
unapproved persons)? That is, world-readable presence? If so, why?

> Just curious about why privacy lists and contacts would be kept in separate
> lists. Anyone know the advantage of that approach?

Contact lists (rosters) are part of the core protocol, and were designed
back in 1999. Privacy lists were added many years later (2003 or so). So
privacy lists are built on top of rosters (to some extent). I don't know
if that's an advantage, but I don't see it as a big problem.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/