Dear List,

I have been looking through the mailing list archives, and reading rfc3921 but have been unable to find out whether I can share one tcp connection for multiple "users".

I currently have multiple servers with thousands of users on each one.
I would like to create a web chat so that the users can 'talk' to one another, and have been wondering whether it would be possible to use jabber as a backend for this
task.

Looking at the spec, it mentions creating a client connection, starting a session and
then sending a message.

Would I need to create one connection to the jabber server for each web user, or can I use one connection per web server? I am a little worried about how well thousands
of connections per server would scale.

Thanks for any advice or pointers in advance,

Regards,

Andrew