Hi Justin,

I do not see the issue as a too high load problem.

Let us assume 50,000 users online.
Most of the users never send any traffic, so they do not actually
create a load problem.

However, there is a difference between 50K tcp connections to the
jabber server, versus 50 (1 per server) connections in total.
Yes I could assign multiple IP addresses to the server to allow
for more tcp ports, but this seems like a very nasty work around.

Therefore my question, does the protocol (and any implementation)
support using this type of pooling?

Am I correct in understanding that the example below sets up the
client connection (and the first tcp requests) ?

Step 1: Client requests session with server:
<iq to='example.com' type='set' id='sess_1'>
<session xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-session'/>
</iq>

Unfortunately I could not find/ understand how the authentication takes place...
Am I looking in the wrong spec?
<message
     to='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
     from='[EMAIL PROTECTED]/balcony'
     type='chat' xml:lang='en'>
</message>
Can a client just set any "from"? I assume that this is checked somewhere...
Can you have multiple from's in the same "session"?

Trying to get some basic understanding of how the protocol works...

Thanks for your help,

Andrew