Well I'm not sure, but the USGS does offer CAP feeds (or at least has a
"subscribe using CAP" button here) http://geology.usgs.gov/index.htm. For
example you can get to a sample CAP entry here using Firefox:
http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/eqcenter/catalogs/cap/uu00013369

However right now I believe you could subscribe to the RSS feeds that they put
out using a XMPP "bot" that will send you XMPP messages based on the RSS feed.
No coding required, but you will need to find a XMPP bot that allows you to
subscribe to RSS feeds.Someone could write a component to allow XMPP users to
subscribe to CAP alerts by translating the CAP info into pubsub. It would make
an excellent Google SoC project (hint, hint!)