Hi,

Can we use XMPP to talk to a client on a mobile device (e.g. PDA/ mobile
phone) that is connected to the internet using 3G? From what I understand,
phones' end-point IP changes as they move around, and generally they are
behind the network operator's (At&T, Vodafone etc) firewall.

Say that user 'A' sends a message to our mobile client. From what I
understand, the message will go through the XMPP server (e.g. Jabber.org or
our own) to find where our client is, so it can route the message. How would
the XMPP server know where to find our client in the place? The IP our
client used when registering with the server could be different now because
it could have moved around.

Does the mobile client need to periodically notify the server about its IP?
>From what I understand, the BOSH technique described in
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#intro is meant to address this, but
it seems to work only if the entity behind the firewall initiate the
connection first (in this case, the client running within the mobile phone).

Please correct me if I got all this wrong as I am new to XMPP, but I would
greately appreciate if anyone can explain how the xmpp server finds the
mobile client that is on the move. Does our sever needs to implement that
routing logic ourselves? Any articles explaining this would also be great!

Thank you!
Thira