On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Thiranjith . <thiranj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can we use XMPP to talk to a client on a mobile device (e.g. PDA/ mobile
> phone) that is connected to the internet using 3G? From what I understand,
> phones' end-point IP changes as they move around, and generally they are
> behind the network operator's (At&T, Vodafone etc) firewall.
>
> Say that user 'A' sends a message to our mobile client. From what I
> understand, the message will go through the XMPP server (e.g. Jabber.org or
> our own) to find where our client is, so it can route the message. How would
> the XMPP server know where to find our client in the place? The IP our
> client used when registering with the server could be different now because
> it could have moved around.

As far as you are online with your client a socket is being kept open
with the server, thus allowing to push stanzas to your device. No need
to communicate your IP, just listen for incoming messages. You may try
one of the several clients listed here
http://xmpp.org/software/clients.shtml#mobile

Most networks will maintain your IP while moving to different cells,
and if you get disconnected it's up to the client to reopen a session
with the server

The situation is different while you are disconnected. In that case
the server stores the messages in the offline storage until the client
goes online

If you have urgent messages you can use an SMS for automatically
waking up the client, however this is a service that has a cost

> Does the mobile client need to periodically notify the server about its IP?
> From what I understand, the BOSH technique described in
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0124.html#intro is meant to address this, but
> it seems to work only if the entity behind the firewall initiate the
> connection first (in this case, the client running within the mobile phone).

BOSH likes tecniques are just used to pass through proxies or run
clients in web browsers. They may be used in order to improve
connection reliability, but a new and better method (xep-0198) is
being defined for this purpose.

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com