Back in the day XMPP transfers were facilitated with FTP/HTTP. Both are
*really* easy to implement (especially HTTP - as it probably has a client
library on your platform). You also still get the delayed delivery. I can't
remember the XEP; but I am sure someone else on the list could fill you in.

1. First Client A setup the connection with Server, login.
2. Get the list of friends, check the online friends, etc.
3. Client A select one friend, chose send voice message.
4. Start the voice record, voice will record as one AMR file.
5. Upload AMR to server over HTTP/FTP.
   i. If HTTP the server responds with the URL to the file.
   ii. If FTP you will first need to communicate with an XMPP component to get
the file name to use.
6. Send a <message> to the other user; and include the upload URL (you will
need to refer to the XEP for the element to use).
7. According to the normal <message> processing rules the message will be
delivered when the destination is online.
8. They can then choose to download the message at any time. The XMPP server is
not responsible for sending it - the HTTP/FTP one is.
   i. The HTTP/FTP server could delete the message automatically when it is
successfully downloaded.

There is a further benefit to using HTTP - GPRS networks are often shaped; so
anything over port 80 will be faster than the rest.