Hi,

I am new to XMPP and have a few questions.  I have read the book and a number
of different websites and am still not sure about a few things.

We are considering using XMPP for chat, conferencing, etc between a number of
systems that will not be connected via a reliable network.  The systems may
lose connectivity at any time, especially if one is moving.  Since any of the
systems can lose connectivity, an XMPP server will run at each one so the
systems that are still connected can communicate.

I am using Openfire and Spark as well as a bot I created using the gloox c++
library to do some prototyping/testing.

-          Is a DNS required to use XMPP, in particular for the server to
server connections?  I have played around with using the hosts file and I can't
seem to get that to work.

-          I have seen references to BOSH for unreliable connections but it
usually referred to client-server connections.  Could that be used for
server-server connections as well or is there something else you would
recommend?

-          Is multicast required?

-          I understand that conferences are hosted at a particular server.
That would mean if that particular server lost connectivity then the conference
would be unavailable for the others that are still connected.  Is there any way
around this?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email constitutes an electronic communication
within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.
2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the named recipient(s) intended
by the sender of this message. This email, and any attachments, may contain
confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research Corporation.
If you are not a named recipient, any copying, using, disclosing or
distributing to others the information in this email and attachments is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and
all copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any printouts
or hard copies of the email and attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain technical
data subject to U.S export restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Export or
transfer of this technical data and/or related information to any foreign
person(s) or entity(ies), either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may
require advance export authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency
prior to export or transfer. In addition, technical data may not be exported or
transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals identified
by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization. By accepting this
email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that they understand and will
comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and embargo compliance requirements.