On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Theo Cushion <t...@jivatechnology.com> wrote:
> We use MUC rooms extensively within our site. They offer us a number of neat
> features that make them very useful. It gives us a central way to manage who
> talks to who, can accommodate groups of people chatting and gives us a neat
> way to deal with keeping a history of everything.
>
> However we've started to see performance issues with using so many MUC rooms
> (we knew we would get stung by this eventually). Users who have had large
> quantities of chats need to log into a room for every conversation. We do
> this so that if a message is posted in one of these rooms, it gets pushed out
> to all of the recipients and we can then in realtime show "missed messages"
> (rooms they are not viewing, but are interested in). However, most rooms sit
> there totally unused.
>
> Each use has a PEP node of rooms they are interested in, and when they log in
> to the site they get this list of rooms and join it.
>
> The only solution I can think of is to have this PEP list updated so that
> only rooms which have more than one person in them are shown. The downside is
> I'm going to end up with a lot more logic hooked on for when people log in
> and out of the system.
>
> How would you solve this?

Where are you seeing the performance problems with having many MUCs?
It should make no odds to a client that it's present in many empty
MUCs (although I guess if you're talking about thousands, the number
of join stanzas would get onerous), and servers are likely to scale
well (empty MUCs will be using almost no resources).

/K