I have wondered (and I think Matthew Wild may have also wondered about
this, lest I appear to be stealing his ideas), about mapping <status/> and
possibly <show/> onto (pseudo) PEP nodes.

This would mean a couple of things:

- You could set an ACL for <status/> quite easily, though it'd be very much
all or nothing.

- With some handwaving involving collections acting as leaf nodes (pay no
attention to the man behind the curtain), you could get a situation where
two differently permissioned child nodes were used to feed a single item
into the pseudo-leaf pseudo-node (eek!), which resulted into different
endpoints seeing a different <status/>.

At least the basic pseudo-node stuff feels generally worthwhile to me, and
if there's interest I'll try my best to spec it out into a proper XEP.

Dave.