Well maintained and maintained.. Yes they just did a new release here in July,
but what people sometimes forget, is that they had 2 years without any releases
and where their server code contained many flaws in S2S (DNS, Dialback, TLS
issues) and even C2S (BOSH, DNS, issues).

So yes Openfire is maintained (1-2 updates in two years), but I would still say
that their release cycle and the support behind the server lacks quite a bit.
:-)

/Steffen