Thanks all for the tips! Regarding the discussion about choosing a proper XMPP
server, I shortlisted some XMPP servers and included their support for
web-based networking (correct me if I am wrong here):
 * ejabberd Community Server (BOSH: yes, WebSocket: yes via plugin)
 * MongooseIM (BOSH: yes, WebSocket: yes)
 * Openfire (BOSH: yes, WebSocket: yes via plugin)
 * Prosody (BOSH: yes, WebSocket: yes via plugin)
 * Tigase (BOSH: yes, WebSocket: yes)

My requirements for an XMPP server are that it 1) is open source, 2) supports
both techniques (XMPP over BOSH and XMPP over WebSocket), 3) has a good
performance, and 4) is being actively maintained/developed. I am currently
thinking of MongooseIM as it meets most - or even all - of my requirement. I
would love to hear your recommendations, though.

In addition, it would be great to hear which XMPP servers (preferable of those
listed above) and XMPP clients for JavaScript have implemented "XEP-0284:
Shared XML Editing". I could not find any information regarding the
implementations :(

Thanks!
+Markku

Ps. Apache Wave seems to support data synchronization out-of-the-box via its OT
engine and Wave Federation Protocol (an XMPP extension). However, as far as I
know it lacks support for BOSH and an XMPP client for JavaScript (web
application development is done with Google Web Toolkit, Java).