So IMHO for every application developer it is currently best in terms of
      spend effort and time (yes there are projects where this is important
    [sorry for the sarcasm]) to decide for one JRE and drop everything else.

That would depend on what the project's goals are.
If the developers want their software to be platform-independent,
they need to support various platforms.

    The fact that the developers and advocates of all those JREs are eager
    to have OOo support there product is a big plus for OOo. But would they
    be willing to support an unknown number of other native applications
    with the same enthusiam and endurance?

Our goal is to make GJC and GNU Classpath support all Java features
that programmers want to use.  Given the importance of OpenOffice.org,
we're currently focusing our resources on implementing the features
needed by the coming version of OpenOffice.org.  (I hope you don't
feel that is wrong on our part.)  However, we will do our best to make
GJC and GNU Classpath a general solution for all Java programs.

I think you've assumed that every task has fixed resource available,
but our resources for this task are not fixed.  If additional capable
people volunteer, we can make faster progress.