Daniel Carrera wrote:

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
[snip]

The use of JavaMail may not be a problem, if there is a good free
replacement for that.

I hope there is.

There is, we just need to test to see if OOo use of JavaMail is supported by the free version of JavaMail.

But similar events using different extensions
could be real problems.  How did this one happen, and how will similar
events be avoided in the future?

How it happened probably has to do with legacy. The Mail Merge functionality has been around for a while.

I guess what we should do is (1) make sure new functionality doesn't depend on a specific propietary product and (2) try to fix old functionality that does.

If we can create a list of regresion tests to run on free java platforms, then let the team test the versions as they come out, we should hit any snags as they occur.

It is vital to make sure the testing is done in such a way that there
is no chance of installing non-free Java libraries to confuse the test.

To add to that, what good is it if JavaMail runs on a free Java platform if JavaMail itself is propietary?

--
Scott Carr
OpenOffice.org