Hi Craig, Joerg,

I agree that FK constraints are an important and powerful feature of relational databases. They provide for referential integrity, and, as a side effect, prevent people/applications from deleting rows unless FKs are nullified first.

My impression is that below you are talking of different delete semantics in the object domain:

1) Deleting an object means that all references to that object are nullify implicitly.

2) Deleting an object is only successful if there are no references to that object.

I think it would make sense to support both semantics in JDO.

Regards,
Michael

Jörg von Frantzius wrote:
Hi Craig,