Hi Craig, Michelle,

> Makes sense to me, but the spec lead thinks the implementation should
> check the actual type in the database.

Well while I understand what our spec lead says I also point out :-

1. All TCK tests so far use the table in 18.4 in the spec to define the
default jdbc-type and that is used by the implementation so they have no need
to go to the datastore to validate the tables and hence define how they will
be mapped. There presumably will be an entry for java.lang.Enum added that
has VARCHAR as the default jdbc-type.

2. The only place where the section 18.4 default mappings are not used (e.g
FieldsOfCharacter), the TCK "orm" files add jdbc-type, and so don't impose on
the implementation the overhead of having to go to the datastore to get this
information there either.

3. The spec lead has more faith than me in JDBC drivers ;-), and some (e.g
Oracle) are notoriously slow for obtaining basic schema information ... and
then we could refer to a JIRA I raised on Derby a year ago
For this reason, and for reasons of portability (not relying on the schema
being identical, but instead imposing the requirements in the mapping
information) JPOX has always relied on jdbc-type, whilst still providing a
means of validating this mapping definition against the underlying datastore
(if the user wishes to do so). Does the spec prohibit this mode of operation?

4. The schema for the FieldsOfEnum has two types of columns ... VARCHAR(256)
and CHAR(2). Even if JPOX went to the datastore and found CHAR(2), that would
still imply a String based persistence (to me). INTEGER would suggest
something else.

--
Andy  (Java Persistent Objects - http://www.jpox.org)