AFAIK this is an issue confined to the (IMHO crappy) Maven project type.
You can build Maven 3.1 based projects quite happily with a Free-style
project and a Maven Build step.

The reason I raise this is that the context of this change is thus a lot
smaller. It only affects one project type, so it would seem less risk IMHO.
OTOH another solution would be to produce a patched version of the
maven-plugin based on the 1.509.3 codebase and then people needing the
support could just upgrade their maven-plugin in LTS (breaking the standard
rule of "you must use the exact same version of maven-plugin as your
jenkins-core" but in a safe way) Since that plugin would require a core of
1.509.3 it would therefore show up in the LTS update center (which should
be filtering plugins to only show updates <= latest LTS release) and not
affect newer Jenkins instances.

My vote though is to try and get the 3.1 support into the 1.509.3 LTS... or
worst case 1.509.4. My understanding is that due to Java 5 bytecode
compatibility being dropped, the 1.509.x LTS branch will be with us at
least until a few weeks after the end of September before an LTS which
requires Java 6 as a minimum gets cut.