GitHub model is based on pull requests and not on shared Git repositories:
that's why protections against forced push is typically not needed (typically
repo is pushed by only its maintainers and not by contributors).
The way we use GitHub with Jenkins is not very typical for  them :-)

On 10 Nov 2013, at 22:42, Christopher Orr <ch...@orr.me.uk> wrote:

> With 678 members in the jenkinsci organisation, we're probably relatively
> exceptional; I can't imagine GitHub have much incentive to implement the type
> of fine-grained force-push permissions we would need.
>
> Plus I think even with the number of members we have, git accidents are very
> rare, i.e. it's likely easier to fix mistakes in git, than to maintain a big
> set of permissions for new and existing users/repos.

Yes they are rare ! ... but when they happen you need to sort them out :-(

> BTW, out of curiosity, how did you manage to force push such a large number
> of repositories at the same time? :)

Problems with the Gerrit replication plugin ... unfortunate combination of
three events (Murphy's law ?):
- working on a directory where I had the Jenkins plugins repos cloned (but
outdated to around 1 month ago)
- having a Gerrit replication plugin pointing to that directory (I did not
realised was using *forced push* that until later today)
- having the permissions of making *forced push* on repos that I did not work
on (I did not realised that until today)

I have removed those local repos on my machine ... so can't do it again, but we
need to sort out the mess in the meantime :-(
I am submitting now a patch to Gerrit replication plugin to *forbid* forced
push by configuration: so at least I can block them from my side.

Possibly a bit late ... closing the gates when the sheep just escaped ;-(

Luca.