> Ah, so what you are getting it is that after running a checkout and
> some initial steps on a workspace on one machine, you want subsequent
> steps on other slaves to use either a lightweight clone of the
> workspace (à la ZFS) or a shared mount of it (à la Docker volumes).
> This makes sense but it would need to be an API, possibly in Jenkins
> core, allowing jobs to request such sharing and a ComputerLauncher to
> honor it.

​Precisely.

Yes, I assumed it'd probably need to be a core extension, but I wasn't sure
if this was already something that existed.​

> > better pipelines - at the moment
> > jobs are a pass/issues/fail, by splitting them up we might choose to
> still
> > run some downstream jobs even if a flaky GUI test had failed.
>
> This at least is handled by the Workflow plugin suite. It does allow
> parallel branches to run in a single workspace; without the API above
> you could not cheaply run them on separate slaves: you would need to
> choose between having each slave do a fresh checkout (and at least
> some kind of further prep work, such as compiling tests); or archive
> and unarchive the files needed from the workspace, meaning fairly
> expensive transfers over the remoting channel.
>
> ​I'm looking forward to the workflow stuff as I think it'll solve a lot of
the usecases that are a bit rough right now.

FWIW, we've done things like copying artifacts and serving them via maven
repository server. Whilst it works, it's sometimes annoying when the
project changes, and suddenly it's a different artifact and you need to
update the configuration. Being able to really cheaply push entire
workspaces around feels like a worthwhile improvement, and something that
might be just as valuable inside workflow projects.

Ok - I may try some experiments around looking at the API. Thanks for the
pointers!