+1 I'm "praying" for documented coding rules in Jenkins for so many years.
I don't want to enforce anything but at least to have them to:
* allow contributors to follow them if they can/want (and they should like
to follow them to propose readable PRs which are easily accepted)
* allow maintainers to reformat code of contributions without asking
anything

If the IDE configuration if provided at least for eclipse and IJ it will
cover a large part of the developers and it won't be a nightmare each time
you are opening a file and for a simple change you need to guess how the
code is formatted.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Kanstantsin Shautsou <
kanstantsin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Every time i open core code to fix something my eyes become red because of
> unreadable code. The same i heard many times as bad argument for jenkins on
> conferences.
> This doesn't cause any backward compatibility issues and cherry-pick
> shouldn't be a problem for LTS because near 2.0 LTS i think will be handled
> in different way.
>
> My proposal is to chose some coding style and follow it in future.
> "Any code style" rule today led to hardly readable code:
> - Mess of spaces vs tabs: bad diffs
> - Annotation mess: when i'm reading code i expect access modifiers to be
> as keywords on start of line. Project may have different annotations and
> eyes can't jump to everybody known keywords.
> - Line width: scrolling code extremely inconvenient (imho even 120
> sometimes not enough, but producing >150 enforces scrolling).
> - Random spaces around if/for, looks like some developers coded from
> calculators. All IDEs can auto format code (i also lasy to type spaces in
> right places, but i usually auto-reformat before commits).
> - {} braces for if/for bodies: enough to make bug one time to understand.
>
> Many experienced developers already added rules in their plugins and imho
> for core something neutral can be chosen. Imho oracle coding style is the
> most used and can be adopted. For example Stephen C. already has documented
> variant that mostly matches Oracle code style.
> - Code will be more attractive for newcomers.
> - Will allow automate checks.
> WDYT?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/06b5602c-2f6a-4cbe-91ab-bfdb23f3f2c4%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/06b5602c-2f6a-4cbe-91ab-bfdb23f3f2c4%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>