On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> Completely routine; you just declare a Maven dependency and you are
> done. Certainly less exotic and trouble-prone than the current design.
>

> https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/plugin-development/dependencies-and-class-loading/
>
> Thanks.  That gives me somethign to get stuck in to.

The release process for the library is identical to that for a plugin:

> mvn release:{prepare,perform}

Apologies - I meant the process of being added as a maintainer :0)
Thankfully the day job means I'm pretty comfortable with maven releases.

The additional step in the current design is that you then need to go
> to all the plugins using the library, update their dependency, and
> release them too. If we switched the library to a plugin, it would
> suffice to just release it—anyone accepting that update would get the
> new behavior for all the feature plugins, since these would no longer
> be physically bundling the library.

True, but then if I read that correctly, any breaking change of the
xtrigger plugin would require all dependant plugins to be updated and a
co-ordinated release organised, rather than the current system where the
dependent plugins simply avoid bumping the version of xtigger until they're
ready?  The issue I see there is that (from what I can see) all the
dependent plugins, or at least a lot of them, were maintained by Gregory
and are now effectively unmaintained...

Admittedly, that's a problem to deal with as and when we get to the
migration and I realise that the answer will probably be "don't make any
breaking changes" :0)

Tony