Dear all,

As a follow-up to the previous Governance meeting, I would like to propose
updating the Jenkins Code of Conduct
<https://www.jenkins.io/project/conduct> (CoC). Currently it is based
on Contributor
Covenant 1.3
<https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/code-of-conduct/> which
was officially adopted on Jan 06, 2016. Contributor Covenant is widely used
in open-source projects, and this was the most recent version at that time.
Now there are versions 1.4
<https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct/> and 2.0
<https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/2/0/code_of_conduct/> of
Contributor Covenant.

* Why update? * New versions of Contributor Covenant  extend our version
significantly, e.g. pledge and standards, unacceptable behavior,
representing the project and social media matters, etc. These changes are
pretty important IMHO. Also, we have recently started a process of aligning
the Jenkins project with graduated project criteria defined by the
Continuous Delivery Foundation (see the proposal from Tracy Miranda here
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jenkinsci-dev/I3sUP2SB2JI>). One
of the checklist items is adopting the CDF's Code of Conduct
<https://github.com/cdfoundation/toc/blob/master/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md> which
is based on Contributor Covenant 1.4.

*Background.*  At the last Governance Meeting on Jun 03 we had a sync-up
with Dan Lorenc who is the current CDF Technical Oversight Committee chair.
Links are here: recording <https://youtu.be/R80Rv6G-Oww?t=1728>, meeting
notes
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Nr8QpqYgBiZjORplL_3Zkwys2qK1vEvK-NYyYa4rzg/edit#bookmark=id.66p0d0acy2w2>.
Some clarification we have got:

   - CDF does not require us to adopt the CDF Code of Conduct as long as
   the Jenkins project has one and as long as they are aligned. We interpret
   it as using a similar or compatible version of Contributor Covenant.
   - CDF is fine with a 2-stage escalation process. We can keep the Jenkins
   Governance Board as a first stage as it is currently documented
   <https://www.jenkins.io/project/conduct/#reporting>. CDF can act as a
   second level of escalation and as an entity for mitigating cross-project
   Code of Conduct escalations should it happen
   - Right now there is no confirmed plan to update CDF's Code of Conduct
   to version 2.0

There is also a consensus that we would like to update the code of conduct,
especially taking the terminology update discussions
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jenkinsci-dev/CLR55wMZwZ8> which
are a sensitive topic to many Jenkins contributors. We have 3 options:

   - Update to Contributor Covenant 1.4
   <https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/4/code-of-conduct/>
   - Update to Contributor Covenant 2.0
   <https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/2/0/code_of_conduct/>.
   Note that there is still no changelog for the version 2.0, some "breaking
   changes" are mentioned here
   <https://github.com/ContributorCovenant/contributor_covenant/issues/744>.
   There is also no Git tags, so we cannot really ensure that the version 2.0
   is fixed
   - Keep it as is, Contributor Covenant 1.3
   <https://www.contributor-covenant.org/version/1/3/0/code-of-conduct/>

*Proposal*: I suggest updating Jenkins Code of Conduct to version 1.4.
Taking the lack of changelog and Git tags for the version 2.0, I am not
sure it is worth going with this version for now. The breaking changes also
seem to be pretty important, and I am not sure we want to deviate from the
CDF's CoC version and explore the legal differences. We can update CoC
again when and if CDF goes to a higher version of Contributor Covenant.

I would appreciate any feedback, and I suggest to vote on the update at the
next Governance meeting <https://www.jenkins.io/project/governance-meeting/>
on June 17th.

Thanks for your time,
Oleg Nenashev