On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:07 PM Michael Carter
<mikeycarter1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what I'm investigating is to create is a few "secure" templates.   That is
> create a job type where the "builder" and/or "publishers" are basically
> locked in and the people using them have only a few of the "freestyle"
> options.

As Gavin alluded to, this is precisely the use case for the CloudBees
CI template feature: GUI configuration of jobs with only a limited
number of options, using a sort of RAD builder for Jenkins form
controls. (This relies on a custom *New Item* type and custom
*Configure* screen, _not_ a custom job type internally.) That feature
is usually combined with another that allows for the *New Item* screen
on a given folder to be locked down to custom selections, and with
folder-scoped role-based access control.

Various OSS plugins and systems exist in this space, with more of a
focus (as far as I am aware) on eliminating the need for duplication
rather than literally blocking users from doing something else.

If you are not tied to GUI configuration, it may suffice to simply
give users only read access to Jenkins (plus *Job/Build* as needed)
and define all job behaviors via code, which can be controlled at the
repository permission level and through programmatic validation. The
`job-dsl` plugin is often used for this purpose. Another option is to
use multibranch Pipeline, perhaps even an organization folder, with
one of the plugins offering a special recognizer rather than the
default of reading `Jenkinsfile`; there are a couple of OSS plugins
for this, and CloudBees CI also has a version.

I really would not recommend creating a new job type. It is a major
endeavour and poses a lot of interoperability issues.