On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 10:01 PM Basil Crow <m...@basilcrow.com> wrote:

> For example, moving from our
> traditional Jira server to Jira Software Cloud (with HTTP redirects if
> necessary) would be almost completely transparent to core and plugin
> maintainers from the perspective of existing Jira issues, which are
> the vast majority of our existing issues.

While I would *strongly* prefer this solution, Jira Cloud has a limit of
20k users even on their largest plans. While they plan to support more[1],
their road map ends at 50k users, and there's a chance these slightly
increased limits won't be available to us when migrating and being covered
by their open source program[2].

For comparison, we have 130k users in Jira. While many are probably not
legitimate users of Jira (some have never logged in but were just created
by the account app when someone signed up there), and we can probably
remove ones that haven't been logged in in years, I wouldn't be surprised
if this limit is going to be a real problem for us.

Before we reject alternatives for not being (enough like) Jira, we should
make sure, with support from Atlassian, that we're even in a situation that
allows remaining on Jira for more than two years.

1: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?category=scale
2: https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request